Monday, December 14, 2009

December 14, 2009


Got up and headed into work early with Craig this morning. Had a long day planned full of work, leave work early to go to our first OBGYN appointment, and going to see our nephew mason sing in a Christmas special. The day was very long as I was super excited about going to see the OBGYN- also super nervous. They always put you though a battery of tests and what have you. The end of the day could not come soon enough.

We ended up being late for the doctor’s appointment by a little bit and on top of it, they did not yet have my paperwork. The receptionist was not sure if the Dr would be able to see me because of this. I was not happy at all. Fortunately, I filled out the paper work again lighting fast and they were able to get me in. Sitting in the waiting room I felt like cattle. The room was packed and very chaotic. We sat for at least a half an hour before we got it. More cattle feelings and I was finally herded down the cattle shoot to be weighted. Once in the actual room, I felt a little bit better because the nurse was very nice and seemed somewhat relaxed. I did notice that the room was very plain, disorganized, and had cards that were laminated telling what to do and where to go next. Like some kind of cue card for patients. Blah. On top of it all, I noticed the infamous formula marketing and goodie bags from the formula companies. No thank you. Not for me, unless I have to.

Meeting with the nurse, and then the doctor was a bit if a crazy blur so, I will just write about my impressions. Chaos. Yeah, that about sums it up. No one was very caring. We even sat in the doctors office while he finished up on his computer before he introduced himself to us. Very tacky. We also got seriously pressured for me to have the H1N1 vaccine. We were definitely guilt tripped. I will give it some thought but, I did not like the way we were pressured. We were also automatically given prescriptions for it as well and told, if you think you have it DO NOT come in to this office. We don’t want to spread it around. Which I understand but, it just seemed cold and uncaring.

Of the whole experience I knew that I was going to be poked and prodded, which was fine but, I really wanted an ultra sound out of it. We were told that they only do one at 16 weeks for gender. BLARG! I did NOT want to wait that long. I gave my concerned puppy look and kind of pressured a bit. Fortunately after the “manual” exam he said that he thought we should do an ultra sound. YES! However, I did get a bit nervous when he asked that the nurse write one up “for viability.” Hummm. I hoped that he did not feel something bad. Next bad news, they could not get me in anymore that day to have it done. We ended up having to schedule to have it done next week. Which is ok, but waiting may just kill me.

I also had to head over to the hospital to have my blood work done. They did not do it in the office. Not great but, at least the hospital was right next door. We were lucky that it was late in the evening so not too many people were around but, still not a great place to have blood work done. I did not do so well having my blood taken either. I am used to just having a vial or two taken at the endos. They had to take 5 for this one. (They did an HIV test. Stupidest thing I even heard of for us.) My body and I did not take well to loosing so much blood. Passing out was a very close thing. I felt terrible. I had morning sickness anyways, plus not eating anything, and giving blood, and being nervous. It was a bad mix. I have never felt so horrible for a blood test in my life. Oh well, I guess I had better get used to it. Pregnant women become walking medical test specialists anyways. Blah!

Craig and I then headed to Ross to see Mason sing. We had already had a long day but, we had to put on our smiles, and pretend like we had just come from the financial advisor meeting like we had said we had. (This was the great excuse we told my boss too.) It was hard to keep our mouths shut about it all. I imagine it would have been far worse if we had actually had the ultrasound.

It was interesting to sit and watch a room full of five year olds sing. Very adorable. Mason was a little cutie full of energy. It made me think back to where we were five years ago, just getting married, and that in five years we will have a child up there doing that. It is amazing how time fly’s. It also made me think about how quick those early years will probably go. I will have to plan now to try to make the best of it and try my hardest to spend some time at home with our baby. We went back to Brandon and Kristen’s house for brownies and coffee after. There was some usual discussion of pregnancy and children, which was all very difficult to be apart of without busting out in good news. Just one more week (and a half) of waiting and then we can begin tell everyone. Just be patient. One good thing came out of all of this crazy day. I think that Craig is finally feeling that this is really happening. Not just a “maybe” thing anymore which is exciting and scary all at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment