Week 37 Ultrasound and Appointment
We had an ultrasound, followed by an appointment this morning. Here is a run down of what we found out at each.
Ultrasound:
Juliet appears to be happy and healthy! She is already weighting in at 7lbs and measuring a full two weeks larger than she should be. This is funny to us because she was a little bit behind in the beginning. This goes to show that babies are going to grow how they like and that machines are not always going to measure accurately! The technician said that the amniotic fluid levels looks good, which is a relief.
The technician called her "thunder thighs" because she has soooo many rolls already. She told us that Juliet has a nice full head of hair (and a sizable head at that) and that she thought that Juliet would have my forehead. We got a peak at her little feet and noticed that perhaps she has inherited the Harbeson longer second toe. I think it is still too early to tell....and hope she ends up with feet like mine instead!
I was slightly disappointed with the quality of the ultrasound. It was very blurry and we could barely make anything out. The six pictures that the technician printed out for us a next to impossible to figure out and three of them are all of the same pose of her face.....which you can not make out. Bah. At least we know she is healthy. She definitely did a lot of squirming during the ultrasound. She is already a sensitive little girl!
Appointment:
I was checked again for anemia, and it came out negative. My weight and blood pressure also looked good. Yay for me! I think I have put on about 20-22lbs so far during the pregnancy. I am quite happy with that and hope that I only put on a few more before all is said and done.
At the appointment the doctor completed the group-b strep test which, I assume, we will get the results of at next weeks appointment. Not really any big deal as far as tests go. I was also, asked if I wanted to be checked for dilation and effacement. I cheerily sad yes, not really understanding how uncomfortable/painful it was going to be. Yikes. I think that it was totally worth it to know though. I am already almost 2cm dilated and 50% effaced. Juliet's head is at a +1 station. All of which is great news but, gives up no indication of how soon labor will be here! (Warning TMI, please skip if you get grossed easily! Also, I really didn't think about how an internal exam would affect the rest of my day. Lots of little tiny broken capillaries from the exam... and contractions to boot. :-/ It was not so great.)
Juliet's heart rate was about 143 but, she gave us a little bit of an acceleration too. If it had been much more or much longer I am sure the dr. would have ordered a nonstress test but, her heart rate went right back to normal so he did not seem concerned.
So, that is all of the boring details. I will give you some more at next weeks appointment! :-)
Sweetie, I have never had an internal like that. I would really really questioned what exactly the doc did...
ReplyDeleteContractions, yes, but broken capillaries? He was either really rough or went too high.
I had the same problem with my 35 and a half week exam...
ReplyDelete(TMI if you don't like gross things!)- after my exam I bled a lot and definitely lost the mucous plug. I called them and told them something wasn't right and they didn't believe me and said it was very "normal" to bleed that much and lose the mucous plug after the internal. It hurt so much and I just believed them.
2 days later... had Madalyn. So I totally feel you on that one!!
I'm so happy that you've made it this far though Ashley, seriously. I know you were worried from the getgo about having a premature baby/low birth weight.. all of the things that most of us worry about. But it looks like you've made it full term and have a very normal sized little girl!! That's awesome! Can't wait to see her :) Hopefully she sticks in there for a few more weeks though, just for good measure!
Yeah, I know that it can be pretty common to experience bleeding and the loss of your mucus plug after an internal. I think that is why my office wont offer to do one until you are 37 weeks. They also only offer, with it being the patients choice in the end. I would imagine you could go without ANY internals until you went into labor at my office. Even then, my doctor is a strong believer of waaaaaiting as long as possible to get that first internal during labor and trying to stay at home as long as possible too. Fewer internals = fewer chances to introduce bacteria and get an infection. He even told me before he did it that he was only doing it to give me the information and that he really had no medical reason for himself.
ReplyDeleteSara, yes, I am THRILLED that she has stuck in there as long as she has too! Having a real understanding of the possibilities and two conditions that include low weight and perterm labor as a symptom make me blessed to be as far along as I am. As far as sticking it out a few more week.......I hope she comes before her due date. Not because "I just can't take being pregnant anymore" but, because of our insurance. Who knows though. God really does have his own plans for our lives and all we can do it sit back and prayerfully hold on while we ride it out! :-)