So I have begun thinking about labor in my idle moments. I think that stems from the fact that I just registered for birth classes, and a breastfeeding class. I have also been looking into which books and DVD's I want to read to prepare myself. The choices are really abundant. Bradley, Lamaze, Hypnobirth, and what have you.
The term Hypnobirth always sounded a bit creepy to me I have to admit. It sounds like someone being hypnotized so as not to feel any pain. I curiously looked into it and found that I was TOTALLY wrong. Which is a good thing I suppose. It really is more like a way to dig within yourself, find a happy little place, and try to relax. I really like this idea. Unlike Lamaze, which seems to work by outward distractions, like breathing and coaching. That just really doesn't sound like me. When I am in pain, I tend to want to sit somewhere quiet and rock, or close my eyes, or something like that. I see no reason why that would be any different when I am in labor. (Oh, BTW, I will be planning for a natural, drug free experience.) I think that there may be something to this Hypnobirthing thing. I plan on getting a DVD/CD set on it to learn more. I will keep you posted on how that goes.
As for more pertinent things, I have decided that it is time to start thinking about assembling a labor and postpartum bag. This is the mandatory, "Oh crap, my water broke, we need to go to the hospital NOW!" bag. (Really it will be more likely to be a few hours spent at home in labor before finally meandering to the hospital but, I would like to have a bag packed so I can focus on relaxing.)
Now, I am not saying that I will put together a bag this week or anything. I just thought it would be nice to begin to give it consideration and organize my thoughts. What better way to organize thoughts than to make a list. So that is what I did. Here is my packing list thus far. Some things will come and go from this list I am sure. It is a bit overkill in some areas too but, if you know me, I am the queen of overkill and carrying bags of stuff for "just in case" around with me. I like the security, even if I don't end up needed half of the stuff.
Labor and Postpartum Bag
(to be packed in a small carry on suitcase)
(consider dividing each section/need into lg. clear storage bags)
General
__ Insurance Card
__ What to expect books (pg and 1st year)
__ Weeks worth of medicines I take
__ Hand sanitizer (for visitors)
__ Preregistration info. for hospital
__ Batteries for camera/video camera
__ baby book with place for foot prints
__ notepad and pen
__ camera
__ video camera
__ Phone charger
__ Birth plan
__ Phone numbers
__ Magazines
__ Mp3 player
For Mommy
Laboring
__ Towel (in case of water breaking in transit or at work)
__ garbage bag (to cover seat for possible car ride etc.)
__ pillow from home
__ small blanket from home (one ok to ruin)
__ bathing suit (top only?)
__ Hair ties
__ Mints or breath strips
__ Massage oil
__ Tennis balls in a sock
__ Water sprayer? (for ice water)
__ eye mask
__ snacks and drinks
__ jolly ranchers or lolly pop
__ water
__ juice boxes
__ Snacks (granola bars, pretzels, crackers)
Toiletries (pack in mary kay travel bag)
__ chap stick
__ brush
__ Ear plugs
__ makeup
__ mini sizes (shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, conditioner,
q-tips, deodorant, etc.)
__ overnight pads
__ Hairbrush
__ tucks pads with which hazel
__ Stool softener?
Clothes
__ 5 underwear (big and cheap)
__ 4 Pairs of socks (comfy with tread)
__ Slippers with tread
__ Robe
__ Pajamas
__ 2 pair Loose pajama pants
__ Outfit to wear home (loose)
__ Bag for dirty clothes
Nursing
__ Boppy pillow (and a cover?)
__ La Leach League numbers
__ Nursing bras (2)
__ Nursing cover
__ Nipple cream
__ Breast pads (disposable)
__ Breastfeeding book
For Daddy
__ Clothes (3 pairs of shirts and boxers)
__ Change or clothes
__ Quarters (lots for vending mach. & coffee)
__ Prepaid phone card
__ DVDS, card games
__ bathing suit
__ non alcoholic champagne
__ Ear plugs
For Baby (Pack in a separate diaper bag)
__ 2 t-shirts
__ coming home outfit
__ 2 pair socks
__ 1 swaddler blanket
__ 1 pair mittens
__ 2 hats
__ 2 receiving blankets
__ 2 burp cloths
__ 2 onesies
__ baby nail clippers or file
__ diapers and wipes?
Ride Home
__ car seat (with infant head support)
__ doughnut pillow (or a ring pool float to sit on)
__ sun screens on windows
Things to add at the end!
__ Camera
__ Video Camera
__ Laptop and charger
__ Insurance Cards
__ Medicines
__ Box of chocolates for the nurses :-D
__ Directions to alternate hospital that the Dr may be delivering at.
Well, that is it for now! Tell me what you think! I love feedback! Especially from you mamas!
Honey if you deliver at the hospital they will provide you with a lot of this stuff. Like the nipple cream (the hospital sent me home with 3 tubes), shampoo that sort of stuff. I think you can call and talk to someone about what the hospital provides. FYI for the baby feet prints bring your own ink pad a lot of the hospitals no longer do the foot prints due to cross contamination issues. You may not need a phone card either I think the hospital as a courtesy gives you free calls from your room phone. Mercy health partners is really good about that stuff if you are using them. Plus i think you get a "birthday goody bag too!" hope this was a little helpful. Plus ask those questions at the birthing classes too they maybe able give you that sort of info too. We had ours at Mercy and the midwife gave us all the skinny on what to expect and we got to see the birthing suites to and also gave us all info on what to expect. Just call if you need anything.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Kristin- a ton of that stuff is provided. I know you want to be organized and everything, but you also don't want to be leaving with doubles and triples of everything either since you brought so many (technically unnecessary) items to the hospital. It's fun bringing it all into the hospital because you know you're having your baby soon, but not so much fun bringing a zillion things out. We literally had 10 people leave the hospital with us, and they all something to carry that was from the hospital and not things that we brought ourselves.
ReplyDeletePut it this way- I had no bag packed and I left the hospital with everything I needed for both Madalyn and myself. I had to have someone bring me clothes (to leave the hospital in) and bring my toiletries. They even provided clothes for Madalyn at the hospital up until what she left in. We literally left with BAGS of free stuff- diapers, formula (if you have to supplement like we did), nipples, creams, blankets, swaddles, breast pump kit (not the pump naturally haha, but the accessories for it that I used in the hospital)...even pads and underwear.
Every hospital room is required to have a sink, soap and sanitizer.
Similar to the birthday goody bag Kristen referred to, they gave us a huge goody bag too- completely with a really nice tote to carry everything in. They also gave us thick certificate with Madalyn's footprints in it from immediately after they got her in the NICU and had her stable(that I put in her baby book).
Now this next one is really just an opinion- but as for the what to expect books/music and everything- if your experience goes anything like ours did, you won't need any of that stuff for the sheer fact that you won't be alone long enough to do any of those things. I had made a "hospital mix" on my iPod that I literally took almost my entire pregnancy to make... never even had a moment to listen to music. Brought a book that I had been reading while pregnant- left without ever having turn the page. You'll have people in and out of there all the time (if not your family and friends, then the nurses). What time I DID have alone, I slept- with continous nurses coming in and out waking me up anyway.
If you are able to do a natural birth, assuming all is well, you'll only be in there for 2, possible-but-not-likely-3 days. Maybe even less depending on what time of day you give birth.
Basically, since we didn't know she was going to be premature, we were completely ill-prepared for her birth but were 100% taken care of. Sorry for the novel :)
Kristen - Thanks for the info about the ink pad! I totally have a bunch of stamping stuff so, for me to throw an ink pad in the bag is no big deal. I would rather not need it, than need it.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I know that the hospital will provide many things but, I would like to have my own. In the best circumstance, I will be delivering naturally without any drugs. If my labor is anything like my mothers ("they" say that this is a good indicator of length of labor) I will be in labor for 24 hours. That is an awful long time not to have a few conveniences of home. On the other hand, if I have a c-section, I will be spending a couple extra days. Also, a situation where having my own shampoo is totally worth it to me.
Craig and I will be taking a tour of the hospital before too long, so I will definitely ask all about what they will provide when we get there. I will adjust my list accordingly then.
Sara- The music is not so much of just an "I want to listen to music thing" as it is how I will be doing the hypnobirth (if that is what I choose to use). It has a guided meditation sort of thing to listen to. That is a shame that you didn't get to use the music you picked out! I guess you can just enjoy it now as, calming middle of the night baby crying music! :-)
It is very reassuming to know that we will be very well taken care of by the hospital if the need arises! I suppose that is what we pay good money for after all! Hahah!
I tend not to trust other people (is. hospitals and doctors) when it comes to my care though. Sara, I know you can totally relate to this. I think the being over prepared thing stems from that. I would just rather know what I have than, be left wondering.
Of course, it will all have to fit in one small carry on bag. Any more than one bag is crazy. If it doesn't fit, it wont go. With the only exception being the boppy pillow. It goes regardless....and my poor bum will be thankful to sit on it on the ride home. lol!