Monday, December 21, 2009

December 21, 2009


Ultrasound #1 day!

This morning we got up early and headed to the Liberty Falls OBGYN location. Our appointment was at 8am but, we excitedly got there early hoping to get in and out and not be too late for work. We were the only people in the office and, they got us in right away. I think we were in at 7:50am. The nurse who did the ultra sound was very nice. She was a bit "cold," but pleasant. We did not feel rushed.

Until 13 weeks, this practice does all ultra sounds vaginally so, that was what we had to have done. It was a weird experience but, relatively free of discomfort. Not to mention, you are so into what is on the screen you really don't care what they are doing. And what was on screen was breath taking. I did not know what to say or think, it all went soooo fast. The babies heart rate was about 141 (a fast little glug glug sound) and he/she was measuring at 7 weeks and 4 days. A bit smaller than I expected I must say. I was expecting to be nine weeks this coming Wednesday but, with actual fertilization vs conception, you never know the date exactly. I was just happy that there was a heart beat! The nurse compared the baby to a popcorn shrimp. Which at this stage, you could almost see a little bit of a tail still hanging around. Very shrimp like. The baby is still utilizing the yolk sack, which was plainly visible in the ultra sound and pictures.

We were super impressed to see that the nurse did a 3-D ultrasound and then automatically switched it over to 4-D. What a cool experience! 4-D was sooo neat! It would have been even more impressive had the baby been bigger but, it was still neat. The nurse took three pictures that were 3-D and three that were 4-D. We were given a copy of all six to take home with us.

The nurse also check my uterus, and ovaries as well. She look in depth at many fleshy parts that all looked like snow on the screen to me but, she didn't seen concerned about any of it, which was great! The entire experience went by in a flash and before you know it, it was over. Craig and I took a few pictures in the room before I got dressed (they do not let you take any while they are doing the ultrasound). Then we were sent straight to the insurance department. They automatically began discussing payment plan options and the like to us. Not a great time for that kind of discussion. We told them, and signed a form saying that, we did not wish to have a payment plan. Who wants to think about finances at a time like that!!??

We left with six pictures in hand, and headed to work for a day of floating on cloud nine! "Popcorn shrimp" became the reference of the day and I think the babies nickname!

No comments:

Post a Comment