Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Glucose.....just another name for suagr?


Today I had a 28 week OBGYN appointment as well as a glucose test. I made my appointment for the afternoon, just to try to avoid the ever talked about "vomiting" that accompanies this test. I will explain it a little for those who are not familiar.

The glucose test: This is a test done by 28 weeks, where you have to drink 50 grams (YIKES) of glucose and your blood sugar is tested exactly an hour later to see how your body processed the sugar.

I was given a bottle of orange liquid at my last appointment and told to drink it an hour before my appointment today. I drank it at work right before I left, being sure to chill it well. I had heard that it goes down better this way. You are also given a five minute time limit to drink it in and I would think having it cold would help. I was honestly expecting it to be quite nasty but, in reality it wasn't. Matter of fact it tasted like a childrens barrel drink. This kind of makes me wonder about those drinks now...

Anyways, the drink went down with ease. I only experienced a little bit of heart burn from it. No nausea or vomiting. I think that the heart burn really had more to do with the artificial flavoring they used than anything else. About 45 min. after drinking it I noticed that I felt just slightly "off" but, it felt like I just had too much sugar. Which I had.

I went in for my appointment, the nurse pricked my finger and tested my blood sugar (as well as for anemia), and it was over. I barely felt the finger prick at all. That was that. The results were immediate. Everything came back normal. Yay for me! The test as a whole was no big deal. No reason to worry. I would easily do it again tomorrow if you asked me.

Now if only labor were that easy......

No comments:

Post a Comment