Yeah. Neon pee. Just another semi-gross posting. :-) Just what you have always wanted! Hahaha!
Ok, so I am not just talking about the normal bright yellow "wow I am pregnant" kind of pee. This is neon. Lime greenish neon. Sounds like a freakish thing, I know. Before you think that I have come down with some strange bacterial infection or was bitten by a rabid spider, let me explain.
I guess I almost have to start at the beginning. When hubby and I first decided that we would start trying to have a baby, I decided to try to do the "right" thing and take folic acid every day. This is especially important in the beginning of fetal development as this is when the spine is forming, and things like Spina Bifita (sp) can happen. Taking some cheap folic acid was definitely worth it in my book.
After I found out that I was pregnant, I switched over to some prenatal vitamins that I found for cheapsies at the local grocery. I figured I would ask my doctor for some more guidance when I went in. I didn't think a few weeks would matter and at least I was taking SOMETHING. I didn't want to buy anything super expensive anyways if I didn't have to and wanted a good recommendation if I was going to spend the money.
When I went to see my doctor for the first time (the old doctor BTW), he asked if I was taking a prenatal vitamin. I said yes. That was it. Moving on. IT! WHAT!!!! WAIT!!! He told me that now adays they pretty much all have the same things and they all have folic acid. He didn't want to see the bottle or anything. That was that. I was not thrilled with his answer at all but, I did have to agree to a certain extent. I did my own reading, it wasn't missing anything vital. That was good with me.
Then came the morning sickness......no more prenatal vitamins. I figured that adding iron and folic acid to my already queezy stomach was a bit more than I could handle. So I didn't. This was ok with me too as I was eating well and keeping most everything down. No biggie.
As the morning sickness went away, I began to want to take a vitamin again. This time I did my reading online and found that many people take childrens chewable vitamins and that this is ok. So, I switched to that, and started taking some additional folic acid when I could remember. The major beneficial period for folic acid was over so I was not as strict. When I switched doctors, he said that this was ok with him as well. That and that the baby would take from me what he/she needed. It was me who I needed to worry about anyways.
On to the end of the second trimester. I decided that chewables were fine but, that's is all. Just fine. I didn't want just fine any more. Mostly because I realized that the more blood volume I gained, the more things like iron I would need. Childrens vitimins don't have iron for obvious reasons. Add to that the importance of DHA in brain development and it was time for a switch. I told my doctor so and he gave me GOBS of samples.
Now for the amazing technicolored urine! I put off taking ANY of the new stuff. I hate taking big pills, and I hate taking pills that I have never taken before. Some of these prenatals have things like algea and stool softeners in them. Who knows what kind of reactions I would have! I don't like the idea of new meds. So I spent about a week or two taking the DHA supplements that I had with the chewables and a folic acid ...beating myself up every day for being an idiot and not just taking the good stuff.
Today I took the good stuff. Yay for me! They were giant....not fun... but worth it for the shrimps health and possible brain development. I was happy that after a few hours I felt nothing unusual. Yay! About that time I had to pee, which is not uncommon for us pregnant ladies. I went and did my thing and .....NEON. Yup. You guessed it I am sure during the first paragraph and have been yawning ever since. I thought that GNC's Womens vitamins were the only ones day did that! Hah! Having neon pee is kind of creepy. That was why I stopped taking the GNC's way back in the day.
NEON. Yeah. I am going to stick with it for a couple of weeks and hope that it subsides. For now, at least, I am getting my vitimins, folic acid, iron, DHA, and stool softener in one. With a side order of technicolored urine.
I hope the shrimp can appreciate this one day....
:-)
hahaha you said my word "Cheapsies"!! love it!!!
ReplyDeletegood luck with your technicolor pee... looking forward to that someday.